I’m not gonna lie. I love chocolate. My daughters love chocolate. My husband loves chocolate. We are also somewhat health-conscious, yet always searching for budget-savvy ways to get a chocolate fix that isn’t detrimental to our health (or my daughters’ behavior!). This is how our Crazy Cocoa Bites came into existence….
- Simple ingredients
- Easy to make
- Easy to involve the kids
Even without kids involved in the process, it’s still fun to get your hands a little messed up once in a while, lick some sticky goodness of your fingers and feel like a kid again. My daughter enjoys molding them into spheres, or use cookie cutters to form them into whatever fun shape she fancies.
What I really love about this dessert / snack is its versatility (see extra flavors/nutritional boosters listed below) and ALA Omega-3 fatty acid content found in the walnuts. My favorite nutritional boost (pictured) is to roll in a bowl of hemp hearts as a finishing touch plus another ALA Omega-3 boost! It looks pretty awesome too!!
Crazy Cocoa Bites
Raw vegan, grain and gluten free, high in ALA Omega-3 fatty acids
- 1 cup medjool dates, pitts removed
- ½ cup walnuts (ideally soaked for 12 hours then dehydrated thoroughly)
- ¼ cup Cocoa powder (Raw Cacao powder is better than Hershey’s brand).
- Pinch of Sea salt (just as a flavor enhancer; optional)
- Flavor or nutrition boosters of your likings to taste: (optional). Examples:
- Cayenne Pepper
- Maca Root
- Sea Salt crystals
- Espresso Powder
- Spirulina Powder
- Hemp Hearts
- Process ingredients into a food processor until the ingredients are thoroughly combined. If they begin to make a ball while processing, turn the mixer off. (The texture should be moldable, yet somewhat easy to break apart even after pressing and shaping it.)
- Mold into desired shape, or spread evenly in a small pan and cut into squares to make raw vegan “brownies” / AKA Homemade Lara Bars….
- Store in cool, dry place. Keeps well at room temperature for 2-3 weeks. Avoid exposure to water to extend the shelf life. Can be refrigerated or frozen. Enjoy!