I don’t know why it’s taken me this long to FINALLY have a finished ratio of ingredients for the dairy-free mac-n-cheese sauce that I KNOW my daughter will like time after time. For parents who have children with picky tastebuds and texture preferences, these types of go-tos can be lifesavers in the kitchen!
This particular recipe I created to include a sneaky source of beta-carotene rich vegetables for coloring, and hemp hearts for ALA Omega 3 fatty acids, fiber, and heart health.
Vegan Veggie Mac-N-Cheese
A dairy-free, nutrient-dense sauce for a healthy soul-food fix of mac and cheese!
- 12 oz butternut squash, cooked and cubed
- 1 large carrot, peeled, cut in chunks and steamed
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked overnight or boiled for 7-8 minutes
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 2 medium garlic cloves
- 2/3 cup water (or more if needed)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 T sea salt
- 1/4 t paprika
- 1/4 t mustard seed powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (optional)
- Cayenne pepper, to taste for a spicy kick! (optional)
- Chopped chives or basil, additional paprika
- Combine butternut squash, cashews, hemp hearts, carrots, garlic, lemon juice and water in a high speed blender, like a Vitamix, and blend for 20-30 seconds until smooth.
- Add remaining dry ingredients, and continue blending until fully combined. Texture should be fairly creamy. Add more water for thinner texture.
- Add to your favorite pasta, konjac noodles, zoodles or whatever pasta flair you prefer. Tastes great with creative salads, steamed veggies, or as a dip for wraps!
Be sure to comment with any alternations you made or how you creatively used this sauce in your home.