Homemade weekend waffles with chores remain a forever foundation childhood memory of mine; something my mom made the conscious effort to make into a tradition. Just the sight of a waffle iron alone brings back fond memories of Saturday brunch that seemed to brighten up the thought of weekend cleaning duties. Here’s a fun yet über-simplified recipe twist with some heart-healthy Omega-3 sources from hemp hearts (sub flax seed for military families). I found the cutest heart-shaped waffle iron at Target, which inspired my heart-healthy waffle idea. Give this oh-so-simple recipe a try… this same batter can be used to make pancakes as well.
Heart Felt Spelt Waffles
A Dr. Sebi Alkaline Food Staple Menu Item
- 1 cup spelt flour (Sub All purpose gluten free flour for gluten free version)
- 1 cup pure water (spring, distilled)
- 3 T hemp hearts or flax seeds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of pink Himalayan sea salt.
- Turn on waffle iron
- Combine dry ingredients
- Stir in water
- Set batter in the waffle iron until desired firmness / crisp is achieved
- Serve creatively!… coconut oil and maple syrup, berries, bananas, almond butter… the sky is the limit.
How did it turn out? Comment below with your input and creative additions or toppings!