Homemade weekend waffles with chores will remain a forever foundational childhood memory of mine; something my mom made the conscious effort to make into a tradition. Just the sight of a waffle iron alone brings back memories of Saturday brunch that seemed to brighten up the thought of weekend cleaning duties. Here’s a fun yet über-simplified recipe twist with some heart-healthy Omega-3 sources from hemp hearts (sub flax seed for military families).
Keeping healthy meals fun for the kids means adding a little flair, like a heart-shaped waffle iron; which inspired this heart-healthy recipe variation. Give this oh-so-simple recipe a try and why not make it a regular tradition… this same batter can be used to make pancakes as well.
Heart Felt Spelt Waffles
A Dr. Sebi Alkaline Food Staple Menu Item
- 1 cup spelt flour (Sub All purpose gluten free flour for gluten free version)
- 1 cup pure water (spring, distilled)
- 3 T hemp hearts or flax seeds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of pink Himalayan sea salt.
- Turn on waffle iron
- Combine dry ingredients
- Stir in water
- Set batter in the waffle iron until desired firmness / crisp is achieved
- Enjoy!… Serve with coconut oil, earth balance butter, coconut butter, nut butter and maple syrup, berries, bananas, almond butter… the sky is the limit!
How did this recipe turn out for you? Comment below with your “feedback!”