Did you know that blueberries protect the brain, and also prevent insulin spikes from occurring? This makes blueberries the perfect addition to any breakfast food that uses any form of concentrated simple sugar, such as cane sugar, maple syrup, honey, or agave nectar. Here’s the catch: research also shows that in order to unlock these protective benefits of blueberries, 1 cup or more needs to be consumed with the high-sugar foods. This recipe below is a perfect example of the proper ratio!
Purple Cinnamon Chia Oatmeal
A hearty way to start your day
- 1/2 Organic Rolled Oats
- 1 cup filtered water
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt (or less)
- 1/4 cup plant milk
- 2 Tbsp maple or date syrup (or agave or coconut nectar)
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- Boil 1 cup water in a medium sauce pan.
- Stir in oatmeal, chia seeds, and salt.
- Lower heat to simmer and cook about 8 minutes, stirring constantly, until thick and the water has almost evaporated.
- Turn off heat, and stir in milk, blueberries, cinnamon, and maple syrup. The blueberries should help cool the oatmeal, and turn it a beautiful purple hue.
- Transfer oatmeal in a bowl and enjoy!