Vegan Congo Bars
These nuggets of deliciousness contain that gooey and dense texture. I grew up eating these, and still have the traditional recipe my mom used. Tweaking it to a vegan twist was simple and didn’t sacrifice a bit of texture or flavor. It still has a flaky top, slightly crispy edges, and a thick, soft and gooey center. I have made these on 3 separate occasions within one month’s time, so I felt it time to share on my blog! Enjoy!
Vegan Chocolate Chip Congo Bars
A scrumptious, crowd-pleasing dessert bar for any special occasion
- 2 cups cane sugar
- 1 Tbsp Black Strap Molasses
- 2/3 cup Coconut Oil
- 2 3/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 3 Tbsp Flaxseed Meal
- 1/3 cup + 3 Tbsp Warm Water
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 6 oz. Chocolate Chips (I prefer Enjoy Life)
- 1/2 cup nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease AND FLOUR a 9×13″ baking pan. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the warm water with flax seed meal. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together sugar, molasses, and coconut oil. Add the flaxseed/water combo and combine thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and sea salt, and add to the sugar mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Add the vanilla extract, chocolate chips, and any optional nuts desired. The mixture will be thick and stiff!
- Transfer the dough to the baking pan (make sure it is greased AND floured!).
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until crush and golden on top but soft in the middle.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes before cutting into bars. Enjoy!