Making healthy snacks instead of purchasing them can truly extend a grocery bill! While I do prefer more than anything to make homemade Lara bars for my children or for myself, this recipe includes oats and ripe bananas to further extend our grocery budget and offer a less-fat, higher-fiber snack. Oats are naturally gluten free, but for true gluten allergies, you will want to make sure that you purchase oats with a certified Gluten Free oats to ensure no cross-contamination in the processing facilities.
Banana Oat Bars
Sweet enough for dessert, healthy enough for breakfast
- 1/2 cup almond butter (nut allergy? Substitute coconut oil or cocoa butter instead)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or coconut nectar
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe bananas
- 3 cups organic oats, coarsely ground
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the wet ingredients (peanut butter, agave, mashed bananas)
- Add the dry ingredients (oats, cinnamon, sea salt) until thoroughly combined.
- Pour container into an 8×8 glass dish (no need to pre-grease)
- Bake for 30 minutes, until the edges reach a golden brown color.
- Allow to set for 10 minutes before cutting into bars. Makes 16 square bars.
- Enjoy! Store at room temperature in a covered container or well-sealed bag.