When I make curry at home, I grab ideas for ingredients from mixed resources… there’s Red Thai Curry, then of course Green curry, Indian curry (“Jalfrezi”) and of course there’s the traditional curry. I have followed many recipes “to the tee,” with careful grocery store planning to obtain every ingredient. Lately however, my life is a mixed up mod podge of projects, and my curry dishes have become the same way. No particular recipe followed… just a mix of this and that from various recipes I’ve followed over the years. I finally wrote down this version quickly on a busy school night, with little time to get a meal on the table for my family. My children and my husband all reached for seconds, and there were NO LEFTOVERS!
Mixed Up Vegetable Curry
Gluten free, Vegan, Grain-free option, Peanut free
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 7 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, julien cut or coined
- 1 handful fresh spinach
- 1/2 fresh basil
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp coriander
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1.5 Tbsp agave or maple syrup
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1-2 tsp pink sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (or more for a more spicy flavor)
- White rice, or cauliflower rice or shredded zucchini (flat zoodles)
- In a large wok or skillet, melt the coconut oil on medium high heat. Add onions and garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add carrots and continue cooking another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the peppers and salt, and cook 2-3 minutes. Then reduce heat to medium, stir occasionally for another 5-7 minutes, until peppers are softened, but not mushy!
- Reduce heat to medium low, stir in the the spinach, coconut milk, and all remaining spices. Stir for one minute.
- Turn off stove, but keep the skillet on the stove. Stir in the fresh basil, and serve over steamed white rice, cauliflower rice, zucchini flat noodles (zucchini peeled with a vegetable peeler), or get creative and stir in spiraled sweet potatoes!