We are not huge on coconut flakes in our home. But sometimes a little hint of coconut flavor in some dishes gives traditional recipes a fun twist. I like to use coconut products as butter, oil, milk and sugar substitutes in raw food preparations, cooking, AND vegan baking! This classic chocolate chip cookie recipe uses a couple coconut-based substitutes to lessen the inflammatory response, as well as add a not-too-overwhelming coconutty-hint. This recipe usually gets pulled out around Fourth of July and for Santa Clause during the holiday season. I also make these for large crowds and they are always a big hit; many have a hard time believing that they are actually vegan. To feel like a kid again, enjoy dipping these cookies in my creamy cashew milk! If you have a favorite recipe you want cleaned up, take advantage of my “Recipe Revamp” offerings!
Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- ½ cup Coconut Oil, room temperature (not melted!)
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp Agave Syrup
- 1/4 cup Aquafaba (chickpea brine/water)
- 1.5 cup Unbleached White Flour, gluten free all purpose, or sprouted spelt flour
- ¼ tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt
- 5 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- ½ cup Dairy Free Chocolate Chips (I use Lily’s Dark Chocolate Chips or Enjoy Life brand)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a cookie sheet and set aside
- Mix flax egg combo in a small bowl and set aside for 4-5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine coconut oil, sugar, agave, and vanilla until smooth. Add in flax egg.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add flour mixture to wet ingredients and combine. Fold in choc. chips.
- Using a Tbsp measuring spoon, drop heaping scoops onto cookie sheet about 1-inch apart.
- Bake for 8-11 minutes depending on desired texture (For more soft & gooey cookies, bake 8-9 minutes; for slightly crispy-on-the-outside cookies, 10-11minutes)
- Transfer to a cooling rack and allow to set for 10 minutes.
- Enjoy! Stores best at room temperature in an airtight container. Can refrigerate or freeze to extend shelf life.