Call me a kid, but I really like to have dips and spreads on hand in my fridge. This dip boasts a bloody hue (Boo!) and has a similar texture and flavor to hummus (perfect for Costume party food!). Since I am a big advocate for creativity, I encourage you to experiment in the seasoning department! (My favorite is cumin and cayenne!) Comment below to share how you customized the flavor!
I re-visited and re-named this recipe as I was preparing for some Autumnal Halloween fun in the community and in the home. Bring this to your next Costume party with some veggies! ….. I guarantee that some friends will appreciate you bringing a nourishing dish, considering the many sugary foods being tossed around!
Bloody Mary Beet Dip
A blood-nourishing, tasty treat! (no tricks!) vegan, paleo, grain free, nut free, oil free, legume free, sugar free
- 3 cups butternut squash, cubed or mashed
- 2 small beets, raw or roasted (raw lends a thicker texture; roasted will blend easier in your blender however)
- 2-3 fresh garlic cloves
- 2 lemons, juiced (save the rind**)
- 2 Tbsp Tahini
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- black or cayenne pepper to taste
- Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender or food processor.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to let the flavors combine. Enjoy!
- Lemon Rind: Are you entertaining or bringing this to a party? Grate a few bits of lemon zest for a lovely topping and tangy effect! Could also blend a lemon zest in for an even zest flavor throughout.